The Library is now fully booked for 2016.
We will start to take reservations for 2017 on January 1, 2016.
We often use the Library for weddings, concerts, parties, etc. This place is beautiful, it has a spirit all its own. Walking in for the first time, you easily feel transported, away from where you came and into, what many have said is, the “jewel” of the coast. For some pictures click here.
We’ve had parties ranging from 100 down to small parties of 5 – 10 people. We’ve had parties with several bands, grand piano, string quartet, movies, flower walks, herbal walks, sit down dinner, open bar, lights etc. Your imagination is the only limitation as far as what you can do here.
The below applies to 2016 rentals
* Full-access to professional sound system including sound person
* 1 on-site Library staffer
* 24-hour access to site and store facilities (including dress rehearsal if the Library is not previously booked)
* Space heaters are for rent at $60 per heater.
* An incredible redwood grove to act as your playground
* Easy access for shuttle (by Big Sur standards) – We’re located right on Highway 1, with no treacherous mountain roads
* 10 minute drive to many local campgrounds and hotels.
So, where do you get started?
If you like what you see, review the rates on our rental contact which you can download here: RENTAL CONTRACT
- Dancing and amplified music (until 11 PM) is welcome. You can stay later but the volume needs to be lowered after 11. (on Sundays – Thursdays @ 10 PM).
- Hours and Staffing: The Library will open 9 am for set-up. A minimum of one Library staff person will be available to help during the day. Prior to the event the Library grounds will get special attention. Two bathrooms are available.
- Parking: Arranging a shuttle for your guests is a requirement. A good shuttle service we’ve used is: Andrew’s Transportation Services, Andrew Nimora, 925-268-0901. Also check out: Maineventtransportation.com
- Insurance: Proof of insurance ($1,000,000 liability) is required. Please contact a qualified insurance company for the insurance. Use insurance company certificate of insurance form. The Henry Miller Memorial Library must be named as added insured. If alcohol is served at the event a liquor endorsement of $1,000,000.00 must also be added to the form. (You can add us to your Home Insurance or use a place like https://www.wedsafe.com).
- The sound system will be yours to use – including CD player, microphones for speakers etc. It’s a very high quality system and it’ll fill the space beautifully.
- Movie or slideshow: We can make it happen. We have a large screen and a state of the art projector; the charge is $250.00 extra for that service. We highly recommend it!
- What about the weather? We rarely have thick fog. And we very rarely have windy conditions.
- Lodging – Plan ahead! Make sure you get reservations in Hotels/Motels/Campgrounds well in advance: You don’t want your guests to have to drive to Monterey after your party! The State Park Lodge, the biggest, and I think most convenient, especially for families, place for your guests to stay, is about 4 miles north of here.
List of Friends
Jaime Jarrard: firstname.lastname@example.org
Specializing in full service wedding, party, and festival catering. Chef Jamie Jean Jarrard creates custom tailored menus inspired by Big Sur homestead grown and wild foraged ingredients. Sea Stars only uses organic and sustainable foods. All dishes are made completely from scratch. Wedding planning, design, and packages are available. Full or partial bar service can be arranged, with ideas for incredibly unique and interesting cocktails.
Dana Carnazzo: email@example.com
Dana Carnazzo – full service caterer with experience throughout the Monterey Peninsula. Will do anything from the informal to the most elegant. “Listening between the lines we hear your likes and dislikes, visions and dreams. We can help you find the unique site that matches your dream and budget and work with you to design a menu, incorporating award winning cuisine and our great local offerings from the sea and the field. ”
Cheri Gladstone: firstname.lastname@example.org
Full service catering and event planning in beautiful Big Sur and the greater Monterey Peninsula. Innovative California cuisine specializing in the freshest seasonal ingredients and organic foods artistically presented by the most professional staff. Services include site selection, flowers, transportation, entertainment, photography and videography.
Back to top
Big Sur’s own: The Songs Hotbox Harry Taught Us
A band known to have picked up a few songs just for you!
Please read more about them HERE!
Take some authentic country, add a dash of retro rhythm ‘n blues, blend in a pinch of tremolo-tinged surf. Then ask four seasoned musicians to make it sound good, and voila! you’re talking The Demos. Rarely does such a diverse range of music happen in one place at one time, but this group makes it all feel smooth and sound natural.
Photographs and other Service Professionals
Terry Way – an excellent photographer based in Santa Cruz.